In 2016, Marie-Pier L'Hostie and Penny Powell, both from Montreal, decided to share a story that served as a warning to all parents. A mutual friend of theirs, a young father named Simon, had been wondering why his son was so sick. When he decided to break open anti-spill top of his son's Tommee Tippee sippy cup, he couldn't believe what he found

Simon discovered that his son's cup was full of mold. When the photo was shared on Facebook, many mothers also reported finding mold in that particular brand of cup, despite having washed it by hand and in the dishwasher. In order to spot it, parents had to break open the valve for the sipping mechanism, which detaches from the lid. The scariest part? It isn't designed to be pulled apart. 

In response to the outrage, the Tommee Tippee team assured parents that the company was working hard to solve the problem and released a diagram of how to properly clean the cups. But even parents who followed the cleaning steps still complained of mold, stating that the anti-leak valve was very difficult to remove. Since then, Tommee Tippee released a statement saying that they are developing a new cup that's easier to clean, and also offered all parents a free transparent valve so that mold could be easily spotted. 
Mold gathers where there is excess moisture. So if there are parts of a sippy cup that cannot be reached with a towel, it's likely that mold will develop. For some children, drinking from a moldy cup could lead to respiratory problems, allergic reactions, or vomiting. It is incredibly important to keep our children safe, and when dealing with drinking bottles, experts recommend being mindful of the following:
  • Be sure to completely disassemble the drinking bottle and wash each piece separately, either with soapy water or by using a dishwasher. When in doubt, ask a sales consultant. 
  • If you're using a bottle for children under one year of age, sterilize the bottle regularly. There are special sterilization devices, however it is often enough to boil the bottle (for ca. 10 minutes ). Another option is sterilization tablets, which can be dissolved in cold water.
  • More and more pediatricians are recommending that drinking bottles be replaced every year, if not more often. 
Let's protect our little ones and stay on the safe side!

0 comments:

Post a Comment