In 1922, Mollie Maggia, an American factory worker, died tragically of a hemorrhage in her jugular vein. During that previous year her body had begun to disintegrate quickly. First were her teeth, which rotted one by one and had to be removed by her dentist. But instead of healing, her gums became ulcerated and were filled with pus finally resulting in the loss of her jaw. When her hips broke, she could no longer walk and remained immobilized until her life ended a short time later. According to her death certificate she had died of syphilis. But today we know that this was not the cause at all — Mollie Maggia had actually died of radiation poisoning.